TITLE (click title to view slides)
DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION (right click and select 'Save Target As...')
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Peanut Weed Control Update - 2019 Eric P. Prostko, Ph.D. Professor and Extension Weed Specialist Department of Crop & Soil Sciences
- Georgia Rainfall Totals (inches) April 1 September 1 Source: UGA Weather Network
- Is this glyphosate? 5900+ lbs/A
- Which treatment do you prefer? PE-13-18 LSD (P= 0.10) = 481 THSD (P = 0.10) = 974
- Peanut Weed Control Integrated Program Approach Tillage Rye Cover Crop Twin Rows Herbicides Hand-Weeding Irrigation
- The Peanut Herbicide Toolbox 23 Active ingredients PPI/PRE Sonalan Prowl/Pendimax Dual Magnum/Generics Outlook/Propel Pursuit Spartan Charge Solicam Strongarm Valor Zidua POST Aim (Harvest Aid) Gramoxone Inteon/Firestorm/Parazone Basagran Ultra Blazer Cadre/Impose Classic Cobra ET (harvest aid) Fusilade Poast/Poast Plus Pursuit Select/Arrow/Trigger Storm 2,4-DB
- Peanut Weed Control 2018 Valor/Cadre Program PE-15-18 July 17 71 DAP NTC Prowl H20 3.8Sc @ 32 oz/A (PRE) Valor SX 51WG @ 3.0 oz/A (PRE) Strongarm 84WG @ 0.45 oz/A (PRE) Cadre 2AS @ 4 oz/A (38 DAP) Dual Magnum 7.62EC @ 16 oz/A (38 DAP)
- Peanut Weed Control 2018 Gramoxone/Cadre Program PE-15-18 July 17 71 DAP NTC
- What do the top Georgia peanut growers do? 2017 Georgia Peanut Achievement Club Winners 15 growers 6249 lb/A average yield GA State Avg. = 4380 lb/A 100% - irrigated 67% - bottom plow 86% - twin rows Herbicides 53% - Sonalan 93% - Valor 20%- Dual 73% - Cadre 53% - 2,4-DB 47% - Prowl 40% - Strongarm 9.1 MPH and 12.2 GPA (avg.)
- Weed Wiper Randolph County August 20, 2018 Treated 8/8/18
- Other Topics of Interest Future Anthem Flex (pyroxasulfone + carfentrazone) Brake (fluridone) Valor Formulations Valor/Dual Magnum Combos in High Moisture Auxin Nozzles Dicamba Tropical spiderwort /Benghal Dayflower
- Anthem Flex in Peanut FMC Anthem Flex 4SE carfentrazone (0.267 lb/gal) pyroxasulfone (3.733 lbs/gal) Testing since 2012 POST only! Increase in crop injury mostly due to carfentrazone 3 oz/A + NIS 0.0063 lb ai/A carfentrazone Aim 2EC @ 0.4 oz/A 0.0875 lbs ai/A pyroxasulfone Zidua 85WG @ 1.65 oz/A
- Weed Control in Peanut with Anthem Flex - 2018 PE-15-18 July 17 71 DAP NTC Prowl H20 @ 32 oz/A PRE Gramoxone @ 12 oz/A - 16 DAP Storm @ 16 oz/A - 16 DAP Dual Magnum @ 16 oz/A -16 DAP Cadre @ 4 oz/A - 38 DAP Dual Magnum @ 16 oz/A - 38 DAP Prowl H20 @ 32 oz/A PRE Gramoxone @ 12 oz/A - 16 DAP Storm @ 16 oz/A - 16 DAP Anthem Flex @ 3 oz/A -16 DAP Induce @ 0.25% v/v Cadre @ 4 oz/A - 38 DAP Anthem Flex @ 3 oz/A - 38 DAP Induce @ 0.25% v/v
- Gramoxone + Storm + Anthem Flex PE-02-15 May 19 1 DAT
- Anthem Flex Injury from POST Applications PE-12B-14 June 19
- Brake (fluridone) vs. Valor - 2018 PE-12-18 July 17 5 weeks after POST NTC Prowl H20 @ 32 oz/A (PRE) Valor SX @ 3 oz/A (PRE) Cadre @ 4 oz/A (POST) Dual Magnum @ 16 oz/A (POST) 2,4-DB @ 16 oz/A (POST) Prowl H20 @ 32 oz/A (PRE) Brake 1.2L @ 16 oz/A (PRE) Cadre @ 4 oz/A (POST) Dual Magnum @ 16 oz/A (POST) 2,4-DB @ 16 oz/A (POST)
- Flumioxazin Formulations
- Flumioxazin Formulation Test 2017 3 oz/A PE-20A-17 June 28 65 DAP *All treatments included Prowl H2O (PRE) fb Cadre + Dual Magnum + 2,4-DB (32 DAP)
- Valor Formulation Test - 2018 (3 oz/A + Prowl H20 @ 32 oz/A) PE-06-18 June 18 42 DAP 13.55 (R + I) Valor SX Red Eagle Panther SC Valor EZ NTC
- Brief History of Metolachlor Synthesized by Ciba-Geigy in 1972 50/50% mixture of R + S isomers Registered for corn in 1977 Registered for peanut in 1980 (February) S-metolachlor registered for use in 1997 (Novartis) 12/88% mix of R + S isomers Patent expiration EPA Reduced Risk Pesticide Program Novartis stopped selling old metolachlor in 1999, phased out completely by 2001. Novartis + AstraZeneca became Syngenta in 2000 Generic companies started producing old metolachlor in 2003 (i.e. 50/50 mix of R + S isomer).
- Early Metolachlor/Peanut Research Results What about high moisture conditions and tank-mixes with Valor?
- Valor/Dual High Moisture Test - 2018 11.315 OF TOTAL IRRIGATION/RAINFALL IN FIRST 30 DAYS AFTER APPLICATION
- Peanut Response to Valor + Dual Magnum - 2018 PE-09-18 July 24 83 DAT 11.315 OF TOTAL IRRIGATION/RAINFALL IN FIRST 30 DAYS AFTER APPLICATION NTC Valor @ 3 oz/A + Dual Magnum @ 16 oz/A PRE
- J-Rooting PE-09-18 May 21 21 DAP
- Valor/Dual Magnum High Moisture Results - 2018 No interactions between Valor and Dual Magnum No effect on J-rooting Valor and Dual reduced early season peanut biomass (stunting) Valor @ 3 or 6 oz/A had no effect on yield Dual Magnum reduced peanut yields under these high moisture conditions. 16 oz/A = 4.2% loss 21 oz/A = 5.4% loss 42 oz/A = 10.8% loss
- 11002DG VMD50 = 322 (M) AIXR 11002 VMD50 = 402 (C) TTI 02 VMD50 = 524 (XC) VMD for common nozzle types
- Objective: Compare the field performance of auxin nozzles to flat fan nozzles in commercial peanut fields.
- Methodology 3 commercial peanut fields Plot size Sprayer width X field length 3-4 replications 2 nozzle types All agri-chemicals ANOVA Tukeys HSD (P=0.10)
- Bulloch County Nozzle Test - 2018 03/23/2017 JD 4630 15 GPA 25 PSI 12.6 MPH 90 boom length 15 nozzle spacing 32-34 boom height
- Miller County Nozzle - 2018 JD4030 110 ft boom 20 nozzle 10 MPH 25 PSI 10 GPA
- Pierce County Nozzle Test - 2018
- 2018 Nozzle Tests Pesticides/Fertilizers Applied
- Yield Data Miller Co. October 3 6 rows (18) X 1000 (0.413 acres/rep) Bulloch/Miller 6 rows (18) X Field Length (0.680-0.735 acres/rep) - Pierce
- Pierce County Nozzle Test September 19, 2018 XR11006-VP
- Pierce County Nozzle Test September 19, 2018 TTI-11006VP-C
- Nozzle Tests - Summary No differences in weed, insect, disease control observed except for 3-CAH in Miller Co. No differences in peanut yield Growers liked auxin nozzles and plan to expand use in 2019 Pierce Co. October 31
- Nozzle Tests Thoughts TTI60 will likely not be registered for dicamba Growers who historically have less than ideal pest control should not take a chance on coverage Timing is important!
- Off-Target Dicamba/Peanuts
- Dicamba/Peanuts I (Epinasty)
- Dicamba/Peanuts II (leaf strapping)
- Dicamba/Peanuts III (leaf roll)
- Peanut Response to Xtendimax + Glyphosate (1/50th X) - 2018 Applied 30 + 60 + 90 DAP PE-03-18 August 16 108 DAP
- Peanut yield (lbs/A) as influenced by dicamba + glyphosate applied at 1/50th X rates. THSD (P=0.10) = NS CV = 4.8 Time (DAP)
- Peanuts/Dicamba Summary No tolerance is currently established Peanut injury dependent upon rate and time of event Drift rates or volatility rates (1/50thX and lower) will cause symptomology but should not reduce yields Pay attention!
- Pay Attention to Detail!
- Tropical Spiderwort (a.k.a. Benghal Dayflower) Control in Peanut Tillage (moldboard plow) Twin Rows (+8%) 2 applications of Dual Magnum PRE or EPOST or POST? Gramoxone, Cadre, Strongarm, Basagran POST