TITLE (click title to view slides)
E. P. ProstkoA. S. CulpepperT. L. Grey
C. W. Bednarz
W. D. Duffie
University of Georgia
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Cadre and CottonďA Peanut Producerís DilemmaĒ E. P. Prostko, A. S. Culpepper, T. L. Grey, C. W. Bednarz, and W. D. Duffie University of Georgia Tifton
- Cadre in Peanuts discovered (1981) field tested (1989) EUPís (1993-95) labeled (1996) excellent control of nutsedge complex G-E control of many other species 18 Month Cotton Rotation
- Cotton in GeorgiaPlanted Acres 1989-2001 Source: GASS
- Cadre Injury Symptoms stunting shortened internodes yellowish-orange leaf color (lime) unpredictable
- What do we know about Cadre?
- Cadre Behavior in Environment 120 day half life upper 12-18Ē degradation * microbial * photolysis?? Source: WSSA Herbicide Handbook
- Factors that Promote Microbial Degradation of Pesticides adequate moisture warm soil temperatures (75-900F) favorable soil pH (> 5.5) good aeration
- Other Soil Properties that Influence IMI Persistence higher OM soils heavier soils (i.e. more clay) low pH ( < 5.5) Why? * Increased adsorption which reduces herbicide availability for microbial degradation
- Now you see it, now you donít?
- Seed Cotton Yield Response to Cadre Residues in North Carolina York et al., 2000 DES 119
- How much Cadre does it take to cause injury?
- Cotton Yield Response to PPI Applications of Cadre Averaged over 2 varieties (DP33B, SG501BG/RR) Tifton, GA 2000 LSD 0.05 = 336 * *
- Cotton Yield Response to PRE Applications of Cadre Averaged over 2 varieties (ST4892RR/BG, ST4691BG) Plains, GA 2000 LSD 0.05 = 712 * * *
- How much yield loss does Cadre carryover actually cause?
- Cadre Carryover in CottonBrooks County, GA - 2000 674 lbs 770 lbs 770 lbs 1540 lbs 1348 lbs 1220 lbs 738 lbs/A (lint yield) 1369 lbs/A 6/09/00
- Are there variety differences?
- Cotton Variety Response to Cadre at 8 PPB - 9 WAT Tifton, GA ef ef fg def fg fg def def fg fg g
- Cotton Variety Response to Cadre at 16 PPB - 9 WAT Tifton, GA a ab a abc ab ab a abc cde bcd a
- Summary cotton tolerant of 1/16-1/8X rates carryover caused 46% yield loss no significant variety differences * AP 6101 * GA 161 (Phytogen)
- What can growers do? follow 18 month restriction reduced rates of Cadre? banded applications Cadre on irrigated fields only? foliar fertilization? optimum pH and nutrient levels plant suspect fields last
- PPT Slide University of Georgia Extension Weed Science (gaweed.com)