TITLE (click title to view slides)
A. S. Culpepper
D. B. Langston
University of Georgia
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Methyl Bromide Alternatives For Nutsedge In Pepper A. S. Culpepper & D. B. Langston University of Georgia
- Purple and Yellow Nutsedges: Primary Weeds in a Plasticulture System
- Methyl Bromide Status Production 1999 = 25% reduction 2001 = 25% reduction 2003 = 20% reduction 2005 = gone (reduce methyl bromide ai over time)
- Methyl Bromide Critical Use Exemption
- CUE’s 1. Pepper Eggplant Squash Tomato 5. Melon 6. Cucumber
- Objectives Compare fumigant by herbicide options for the control of nutsedge What impact does VIF film have as compared to LDPE
- Fall 2003 * Location
- Methods: Objective 1 Plot size: 6 by 35 feet; 32” bedtop Design: RCB Reps: 3 Treatment: Factorial 2 nutsedge species 2 herbicide systems 7 fumigant options Plastic: LDPE
- Herbicide and Nutsedge Options Nutsedge species: yellow purple Herbicide systems None Command 1 qt + Devrinol 3 lb + Dual 1.1 pt
- Fumigant Rates* 1. Methyl Bromide (400 lb/A of 67:33) Telone II fb KPAM (12 gal fb 102 gal) Telone II fb Pic (12 gal fb 150 lb) 4. Telone C35 fb Pic (35 gal fb 150 lb) 5. MIDAS (175 lb of 98:2) 6. Inline – two drip lines (35 gal) 7. None *Rates are per treated acre.
- Application of T2 and C35
- rototiller blades nozzles for KPAM KPAM Application
- Application of Bromide, MIDAS, and Chloropicrin
- Bell Pepper Response to the Fumigant & Herbicide Systems. Fumigants did not affect plant growth or cause visual injury. Herbicides stunted pepper up to 20% at 30 DAP, no injury by 60 DAP. Herbicides increased yields for all fruit size except jumbo with an increase in total yield by 38%.
- Percent Late-Season Yellow and Purple Nutsedge Control by Herbicide Options. TyTy, GA. *Values followed by the same letter are similar at P = 0.05
- Sept 6, 2003 No Herbicide or Fumigant + Dual, Command, Devrinol
- Percent Nutsedge Control by Fumigant. TyTy, GA. Fall, 2003.* *Data pooled over nutsedge species. 85 day after laying plastic. P = 0.05.
- 307 Sept 6, 2003 No Fumigant, LDPE Plastic MeBr 400 lb, LDPE Plastic
- Sept 6, 2003 MIDAS, LDPE Plastic MeBr 400 lb, LDPE Plastic
- Sept 6, 2003 MeBr 400 lb, LDPE Plastic Telone II fb Pic, LDPE
- Percent Increase in Total Fruit Weight Compared to the Control. Fall 2003 MB T2 + KPAM T2 fb pic MIDAS Inline None C35 fb pic 89 a 75 ab 47 bc 56 b 21 cd 59 b d Data pooled over herbicide systems.
- Methods: Objective 2 Treatment: Factorial 2 nutsedge species 2 herbicide systems 4 fumigant options 2 plastic options
- Fumigant Options: Telone II fb Pic Telone C35 fb Pic Inline – two drip lines None LDPE VIF Plastic Options:
- Percent Late-Season Nutsedge Control by Fumigant. TyTy, GA. Fall, 2003.* *Data pooled over herbicide option. 85 day after laying plastic. P = 0.05.
- Telone II fb Pic, LDPE Plastic July 26, 2003 Telone II fb Pic, VIF Plastic
- 303 Sept 6, 2003 Telone II fb Pic, LDPE Plastic Telone II fb Pic, VIF Plastic
- Conclusions Yellow nutsedge was controlled more effectively by fumigants. Herbicide system improved nutsedge control 24 to 27%. Increased yield 38%. Comparing fumigants: C35 fb pic was as effective as MB for nutsedge control but not for yield.
- Conclusions Comparing fumigants and herbicides: MIDAS, T2 fb KPAM, or C35 plus herbicide system were as effective as MB for controlling nutsedge (only T2 fb K-Pam equaled MB for yield) VIF improved control of all fumigant options providing less than 84% control by 16 to 42%.
- LOT TO DO!!!!Thanks to:Hendrix and DaleDow AgroScienceArvestaAmVac