TITLE (click title to view slides)
University of Georgia
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Watermelon Update GFVGA Annual Meeting
- Watermelon Weed Management Strategy Sandea Pigweed control Nutsedge control Morningglory control
- Strategy cucumbers, melons, squash and watermelons contains 1.6 lb ethalfluralin (Curbit) and 0.5 lb clomazone (Command) per gallon
- Curbit removed from the market???? replaced with Strategy
- Strategy Soil Broadcast Amount of Amount of Texture Rate Curbit Command Coarse 2-3 pt 1-1.5 pt 0.33-0.5 pt Medium 3-4 pt 1.5-2 pt 0.5-0.67 pt Fine 4-6 pt 2-3 pt 0.67-1 pt Georgia use rate for most fields should be 2-3 pt/A.
- Strategy DO NOT incorporate prior to planting DO NOT apply under or OVER row covers, mulches, or other plant covers Beware of the potential for heavy rain Do not make broadcast applications to transplants
- Watermelon Injury from Strategy Applied Topical 1 wk After Transplant
- Strategy Apply prior to weed emergence Apply to seeded crop prior to emergence, or apply as a banded spray between rows after crop emergence or transplanting.
- Strategy Should be able to obtain same rate of ethalfluralin (Curbit). Command should enhance activity of annual grasses (expect Texas panicum), sida, croton, lambsquarters. Buffer restrictions are identical to Command applied alone Be aware of carryover from clomazone
- Gowan Company & Possible preemergence label for watermelon
- Watermelon Label -- Row middle application, 2003 WILL NOT ALLOW POST APPLICATION Possible PRE label in 2004 Cooperative work with Ken Lewis, Crisp Co. and Tom Jennings, Wilcox Co.
- Nontreated Sandea (0.024 lb ai/A) Watermelon farm in Crisp County, May 2000. Treatment at 1-leaf. Pictures to scale.
- Sandea for PRE Weed Control common cocklebur wild radish pigweeds common ragweed common lambsquarters yellow nutsedge - suppression purple nutsedge - suppression 2 to 3 weeks residual weed control
- Pigweed Control by Sandea 0.67 oz PRE = 90 to 100%
- Non-treated Control Sandea (0.5 oz/A) PRE W1-00. Halosulfuron study with Ken Lewis in Cordele.
- Nutsedge Control by Sandea 0.67 oz PRE = 65-80% for about 3 wk
- Sandea PRE No herbicide
- non-treated Sandea 2/3 oz + Curbit 1.5 pt 15 DAT
- Pigweed Management
- Pigweed Management 1) Curbit preemergence 2) Strategy preemergence Alanap preemergence or postemergence Treflan row middle
- Pigweed Response to Watermelon Herbicide Systems at 26 DAT. Crisp/Wilcox Co. 2002. Curbit, 1.5 pt/A; Strategy, 3 pt/A; Sandea 0.75 oz/A; Alanap 5 qt/A.
- Pigweed Response to Watermelon Herbicide Systems at 42 DAT. Crisp/Wilcox Co. 2002. Curbit, 1.5 pt/A; Strategy, 3 pt/A; Sandea 0.75 oz/A; Alanap 5 qt/A. % control c b a a a
- Reduction of Herbicide Control Tillage that disrupts herbicide layer will reduce control drastically
- Morningglory and Nutsedge Sandea row middle for nutsedge Tillage and competitive crop
- Read Labels Sandea carryover or tank clean out issues Command or Strategy buffer requirements
- Gowan Company &